We love cheese so much, we wear it on our heads...and name blogs after it

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tales From a Runner: An Early Mexican Lunch=Bad Idea




The Tales of a Runner






There are the crazy, there are the insane, and then there are. . .the runners. And to take it even a step further, there are the winter runners.


"Winter runners!" You say. "What kind of government propoganda is this?"


Yes, possibly to your dismay, people do run in the winter. And not just any typical Florida winter in which it is 55 degrees outside, but in a Wisconsin winter. Yes, we have fun running in 15 degree temperatures, snow, and ice. I consider it "Cheesehead running".


Running is a lifestyle and we can't let the terrible Wisconsin weather stop you from running.


People ask me, "Are you crazy? You're gonna freeze!"






It's called extra layers, a hat, gloves, and two pairs of socks (And I have to give props to my Asics that have absorbed mile after mile).

With the winds bringing a cold chill to your face and body, it's hard enough to run. Add in another pain-inflictor and the normally epic running turns from fun to not so fun.



This was the case on Tuesday afternoon, a run that I would rather forget.


At school, to celebrate la Navidad y el Nuevo Ano, the Spanish II and III classes threw a Mexican-themed fiesta in which everyone brought his or her own dish. I took full advantage of this, eating four pieces of cake, two large servings of taco salad, a taco, an enchilada, chips, and soda. To some folks, this may come as a surprise, seeing that runners are skinny therefore I am skinny, so how can I eat that much?


It's called metabolism.



But let's not get into that science stuff.



All of that food made me not hungry for lunch, so I only consumed a Capri Sun, carrots, and part of my sandwich. I figured that because I was so full, I would remain that way for a day.



Looks like I was wrong.



Midway through final period I began to feel stomach pains and tried snacking at the last moment, but my stomach still hurt as we began our warm-up run. I did not feel good at all on that one-mile affair and was dreading the upcoming 2.5 fast tempo run.



I didn't start off all too badly, but the cramps settled in. For the last 2 miles my sides ached and, for the first time in about two years, it hurt to run. I finished at a 19:46, a respectable time taking into consideration my cramps and empty stomach.



But for future reference, eating loads of Mexican food, then not eating lunch and going for a run is a BAD IDEA.


To make matters worse, I was hit with an iceball by Frisch, who was running with me, then tackled and given a face wash.


I like to call this "When Wisconsin weather and Mexican food collide". The product is not pretty, and I recommend none of you ever try it.


...If any of you ever go on a run.



--Thank you for reading "Tales From a Runner"







2 comments:

  1. Yep, I agreee, you gotta be crazy to run in THAT COLD of weather! Then again... LOL

    Great article. I'm excited to be the first follower, and look forward to more Cheesehead adventures. Love the name of the blog, BTW.

    Of course here in central Texas I awoke this morning to 67 degrees outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are crazy! I figured it would only be fitting if I named it after cheese.

    67 degrees! That makes me jealous. It's supposed to snow 6-8 inches on Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete